We are a community of Professional Music Teachers who work in private studios and some state and private schools, teaching individual and group instrumental lessons.
Membership to our Association is an investment in the success of your business and career, making your business successful, by giving you competitive advantages.
We provide resources to enhance your effectiveness as a teacher.
There are a great number of benefits to members of our association. The majority of these apply to all members throughout the state. Each branch and teachers' group also provides meetings, workshops, student concerts etc for the local members.
Here are some of the benefits provided by the central office that apply to all members throughout the state:
- Journal - issued three times a year
- Option to choose digital or print format (an annual fee of $15 applies to the print copies)
- Events information - Brisbane and regional
- Reviews of books and workshops
- Information on and reviews of new teaching material
- Discounted advertising rates
- News about branch activities and teacher group meetings
- Information about each of our branches and teachers' groups
- Up to date teaching recommended minium tuition rates
- Includes be listed on our teacher database
- Profile - includes biography and photo
- Listing as an Accompanist (optional)
- Listing as an Adjudicator's (optional)
- Listing to teach online lessons (optional)
- Eisteddfod list
- Assurance to prospective students that you are suitably qualified/experienced to teach your chosen instrument/s
- A nationally recognised professional Teachers' Certificate
- Members can mention on their business cards and stationery that they are a member of the Association (for Professional, Associate and Students only)
- High quality insurance packages for individual studio teachers
- Insurance cover, as an MTAQ member, for presenting or participating in teaching workshops, meetings and performing events of the Association
- Regular emails about forthcoming events: PD, competitions, student recitals and items of interest
- Discounted rates to advertise via email updates
- Booklet of Guidelines for Private Teachers
- MTAQ members invoice books - include a summary of terms and conditions of tuition, are available for purchase at $15 each (plus postage)
- Central office keeps abreast of the requirements of, for example, the Office of Fair Trading, AMCOS, APRA, and follows through on any changes that impact MTAQ as a whole, branches and individual members
- Provision of support to all members, especially in areas that are difficult for individual teachers to manage by themselves, for example
- Blue Card requirements and the Risk Management Strategy and Procedures
- The Music Council of Australia is currently proposing to introduce a national accreditation scheme for studio music teachers, which will impact all studio teachers. Our president has already been involved in discussions with the other MTA presidents around Australia and we will certainly be supporting all our members through this process.
- Discounted hire rates for the Association auditorium (includes a grand piano and room to seat 70 people)
Regional branches and teachers' groups provide some or all of the following benefits to their members:
- Networking opportunities with other teachers
- Mentoring for younger teachers
- Performance opportunities for students
- Professional development workshops
- Masterclasses with highly respected teachers and educators
- Audio recordings of some professional development workshops are available for purchase
- Discounts at participating music retailers
- Competitions for students (eg., Queensland Vocal Competition, Queensland Piano Competition (discounts for students of MTAQ members), and the Composers Competition Gold Coast)
Perhaps there are other teachers whom you know who would love to have access to all of these benefits? Please invite them to join! Are there other ways in which we as an Association can serve you, our members? Are you able to help us by volunteering to help at special events, or by joining Council or a regional committee? We'd love to hear from you!